Tuesday, February 5, 2013

All Are Welcome

Running is the most inclusive sport, which is why I love it so much. All are welcome here. There are no complicated rules to learn, or passwords to memorize, or membership fees to pay. It's just left foot, right foot. You move your legs and go.

I need to keep reminding myself of this as I gradually rebuild my strength and stamina. My current pace is slower than it was a year ago, and my current definition of a long run is three miles. But I'm still a runner, and still a part of this amazing community. 

Running isn't determined by your job title or how much money you have. It doesn't matter what your last name is, who you voted for, or the color of your hair. Granted, some people have a genetically favorable advantage, but it ultimately comes down to hard work and discipline. We're all capable of that. If Oscar Pistorius can become an Olympic runner without having legs, the rest of us certainly have no excuse. There truly is room for everyone. 

The running community is wide open to anyone who wants to participate. One block, one mile, or one marathon. You want to be a runner? Then run.

No comments:

Post a Comment