Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Reward of Running

Running is a an enormous sport, to the point where it's unofficially split into two categories: those who run to compete, and those who run to complete. As someone who has never been fast (even in peak fitness I average 11:30 minute miles), I've always associated with the latter group. Any competition is internal. Can I go farther than I did last week? Can I break my PR? Can I make it to the top of that hill? If I even think of another runner in a race, it's only as a means to motivate myself and not to defeat them. 

Races do give out shirts and medals...to every single participant. The top finishers often receive special prizes, but competing for those never even enters my mind. I run to be a part of the community, to have a deadline, and to celebrate what my body is capable of achieving. Running is its own reward.

That being said, I certainly appreciate an award! The oh-so talented Miss Katie from Brave Juice recently received the Liebster Award for her stunning and introspective blog. Please be sure to read and follow her. She writes with a rare thoughtfulness. As part of her recognition, she kindly passed the honor on to me. 

The Liebster Award is given to new blogs with fewer than 200 followers. The intent is to shine light on lesser known writers, who in turn pass the award on to other deserving blogs. The only catch is the writer must share eleven random facts about herself. Here goes!

  1. I'm an extreme creature of habit, and this becomes even more evident when I'm training. I have the same dinner the night before a long run (Jimmy Johns Vito sandwich with Gatorade), the same breakfast before a long run (one cup of black coffee and a Clif bar), and intense brand loyalty to running gear. If Asics ever discontinues my beloved GT 2170s, I will wear black for days and grieve.
  2. My biggest fear is tripping on stairs and losing a tooth.
  3. I'm a closet college sports fanatic. Autumn Saturdays are devoted to football, and I like March Madness more than Christmas. 
  4. I prefer mustard to ketchup in almost every scenario.
  5. I like my cat more than I like most people. Four years ago I adopted a rescue cat named Clyde. He plays fetch like a puppy and watches birds. It's adorable. 
  6. I'm pro-Oxford comma. Keep your lists nice and clear, folks.
  7. I'm a recovering coffee addict, down from 2-3 cups per day to 2-3 cups per week.
  8. Confession: I tell people my favorite actress is Frances McDormand, but secretly it's Catherine O'Hara. Best in Show and Home Alone are the greatest two movies ever made.
  9. I'm relatively low maintenance, but I love to indulge with a pedicure.
  10. Avocados are my favorite food. I could eat one with every meal.  
  11. I'm a complete sucker for a coming-of-age story. Go on and find yourself, girl.

Please enjoy these terrific blogs (and new Liebster Award recipients!):

Free Range Quest: Kristina and David are converting a school bus into an RV, and documenting each step in their journey. This blog celebrates following your heart, pursuing adventure, and trusting love over money. 

Flirty Nerdy 30: As Neah began a new decade, she embraced the change by challenging herself to complete 30 new adventures. Her blog documents each goal and inspires readers to challenge themselves as well.



Thank you again to Brave Juice for the recognition. Please be sure to read each of these wonderful blogs!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment