Friday, February 15, 2013

Peace of Mind

It's a long day in the middle of a long week. Yes, it's Friday, but the weekend is completely booked with no signs of stopping. It's exactly the kind of day to pull the covers over my head and wait out the storm, but that's simply not an option.

I woke up early this morning and went for a run. Given the long day ahead of me, I considered hitting the snooze button for an extra hour of sleep. It would have been warm. It would have been cozy. But I'm glad I didn't.

Running is my sanctuary. It's one of the few ways I can turn off the noise and decompress. I never run with headphones in -- primarily for safety reasons, but also for sanity. I like to be aware of my surroundings and take it all in. I can focus on my body, my breathing, or nothing at all. This morning, that peace of mind was especially needed. It was a shorter run -- just two miles -- but more than enough to get my thoughts in place.

I appreciate the structure and clarity running brings to my life. And today, I needed it more than ever.


2 comments:

  1. Kate, good for you. I need to start running without the headphones, which are tuning my thoughts out. Good and Bad. Thanks for this post today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And THANK YOU for another reminder a shorter run is still a great run. I'm one week away from getting back to running after an idiotic injury (hairline fracture from not training for that half I did last month), and the idea of stopping after one mile and still calling it a run is one I need to get used to!

    ReplyDelete